[Samba] Howto encrypted traffic flowing to the server?

Ralf Roeber ralf at cometa.rocks
Sun Jun 26 15:54:29 UTC 2022

Dear friends of samba,

aim: get "samba client session" to encrypt data going over the network
to the "filer"

I only have access to the client.

On the client /etc/samba/smb.conf I have set:

[global] # smb encrypt = auto smb encrypt = mandatory client signing =
mandatory

And I used this mount:

mount -t cifs //foo/gdce_o0303$ /mnt/filer -o
vers=3.1.1,credentials=~/.smbcredentials

In tcpdump I can read "foo" when doing echo foo > /mnt/filer

On irc-samba it was confirmed that the connection is not encrypted.

I am blank on this. Searched for +4h and can't get hold of what am I
doing wrong.

Any ideas welcome.

Have a great sunday and a great start into the new week,

Ralf

Pastebin of my configuration and mount command
https://paste.debian.net/1245276/

Pastebin of /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData https://paste.debian.net/1245274/

--
Ralf Roeber
Managing Partner

w:cometa.rocks <https://cometa.rocks/> | e:ralf at cometa.rocks | m:+34 717
102 603 <call:+34 717 102 603> | li:/in/ralf-roeber
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/ralf-roeber>