[Samba] Samba on ZFS

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jan 12 20:51:38 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 02:33:45PM -0600, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:

>I'm curious about why there are performance benefits to ignoring case,
>but I suppose it's because file inquiries involve case mapping to
>accommodate Windows machines. In the age of Unicode, ignoring case is
>an awful, awful idea, but Microsoft is now stuck with this legacy
>implementation and I don't see how they'll ever escape it.  Maybe once
>Windows is rebased on a linux kernel...

The reason it is a performance win is in the lookup of an unknown
file case. If a client requests to open "Filename", and a stat()
of "Filename" fails, then smbd has to open and scan the directory
looking for any file named "filename" as a case-insensitive match.

For a large directory that can be very time-intensive.

MacOSX is also case-insensitive I believe :-(.