[Samba] Samba on ZFS

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 12 20:33:45 UTC 2022

On 1/12/22 11:13, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 03:07:05PM +0100, Ralph Boehme via samba wrote:
>>
>> no, it should work afaict. Just beware that afair ZFS on Linux doesn't
>> support NFSv4 ACLs, just POSIX ACLs. As Samba will work with POSIX
>> ACLs by default, other ACL flavours require loading a dedicated ZFS
>> module, your setup should basically just work. But ff course, the
>> devil's in the details, so you should do some decent researcg abd
>> testing before deploying a production system. :)
>
> If you're planning this from scratch as a Samba-only filesystem,
> I'd really recommend setting the filesystem up as case insensitive.
> You'll get much better performance on large directories that way.

Since we do a lot of computational science, almost nothing is Samba
only, and I most certainly can't assume this even in cases where it
appears to be Samba only.  One or more linux boxes with NFS mounts
always show up eventually.  <:)

I'm curious about why there are performance benefits to ignoring case,
but I suppose it's because file inquiries involve case mapping to
accommodate Windows machines. In the age of Unicode, ignoring case is an
awful, awful idea, but Microsoft is now stuck with this legacy
implementation and I don't see how they'll ever escape it.  Maybe once
Windows is rebased on a linux kernel...

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this; my use case is POSIX ACLs
(it's the greatest common denominator), so looks like this will all be fine.

@Roland: Linux and BSD now share a common code base (zfsonlinux is now
OpenZFS), so your comment would indicate that vfs_zfsacl is dead, since
Solaris appears to be dead.