[Samba] Joining member server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 22 16:03:23 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-02-22 at 06:44 -0800, Gregory Sloop via samba wrote:
> Perhaps I should have been more clear/explicit.
>
> The Wiki says that you should ONLY use "samba-tool" to join a member
> server IF the samba version is >4.15.0. (
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Joining_the_Domain
> )
>
> Obviously in this case, we have mixed versions.
> But the machine being joined is running a samba version >4.15.0.
>
> Again, I'm like 95% sure this is fine, but asking now can save many
> hours trying to recover whacked DCs, so here I am.

It was a bit confusing, I have updated the wikipage and hopefully it is
now clearer.
Originally, when you ran 'samba-tool domain join', the code created
'something', not sure what the 'something' was, but it wasn't a Unix
domain member. The code was rewritten and now it creates a proper Unix
domain member, provide you use Samba >= 4.15.0

Rowland