[Samba] WARNING: The "domain logons" option is deprecated

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Feb 5 11:37:53 UTC 2022

On Sat, 2022-02-05 at 11:15 +0100, redhat via samba wrote:
> My question
> I have this message in my logfiles WARNING: The "domain logons"
> option
> is deprecated
> Does this mean that in the future versions samba as pdc and openldap
> can
> no longer be used??.

When a parameter is marked as 'deprecated', it is a warning that
sometime in the future it will be removed. This doesn't mean that it
will not work at present, but that it will be removed at a future date.
When it is removed, it is very likely that SMBv1 will also be removed
and NT4-style domains will no longer work.

> Relevant software and hardware
> I use smbd version 4.13.17-Ubuntu in combination with open ldap so
> not
> as Samba as an Active Directory (AD)

I suggest you start planning to upgrade to a Samba AD domain.

> What I've already found or tried
> I have tried to find out on the samba site but I can't find any
> certainty here whether this option comes to yes by default or
> disappears
> altogether.

Have a look here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.13_Features_added/changed