[Samba] Use the samba AD database from a web or other application

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Dec 6 08:58:13 UTC 2022

On 06/12/2022 07:48, Philippe Maladjian via samba wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Currently I have a samba 3.5.x in NT4 mode with an ldap backend. I
> perform several tests to migrate to samba 4 in AD mode.

Samba 3.5.x went EOL nearly 10 years ago.

> To simplify migration and management over time, I no longer want to use
> the ldap backend.

You will not be able to use Samba with ldap in the near future. Samba is
working on removing SMBv1 and it is required for an NT4-style domain, so
no SMBv1, no NT4-style domain.

> My problem is that I have different application
> (firewall, internal web...) which uses the ldap database for the user
> account part.

How are they using Samba at the moment, ldap queries, via nsswitch or
something else ?
They will all work pretty much in the same way and you also be able to
bring kerberos into the mix.

> For the moment I have not found any documentation or example explaining
> how to query the samba 4 user base from an external application.
>
> Is it doable? If yes, how ?

Yes and have you read the Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland