[Samba] Use the samba AD database from a web or other application

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 08:54:30 UTC 2022

Op 06-12-2022 om 08:48 schreef Philippe Maladjian via samba:
> Hi there,
>
> Currently I have a samba 3.5.x in NT4 mode with an ldap backend. I
> perform several tests to migrate to samba 4 in AD mode.
>
> To simplify migration and management over time, I no longer want to use
> the ldap backend. My problem is that I have different application
> (firewall, internal web...) which uses the ldap database for the user
> account part.
>
> For the moment I have not found any documentation or example explaining
> how to query the samba 4 user base from an external application.
>
> Is it doable? If yes, how ?

Sure, with LDAP queries it is easy to get users, groups etc. or to check
(nested) membership of a group.

Samba 4 (DC) acts as an Active Directory domain controller. Active
directory is combination of mainly Kerberos and LDAP. Kerberos is really
handy for authentication and SSO, LDAP more for authorization, user
information etc.