[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Juan Ignacio juan.ignacio.pazos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 00:57:02 UTC 2022

> That is not how you backup Samba AD

I thought that was the way, at least that's what wiki said at the time when
I installed the dc with samba 4.1, remember that this server is the old one
in production.
I just want to make sure that if something goes wrong I can go back.

No, that was the old way and should no longer be used.

My script is older than that one hehe...good to know.

What, you want to demote the DC that holds the FSMO roles ('primary' is
> what most people call the DC that holds the FSMO roles, even though
> there is no such thing as a primary DC)

No, I want to demote the old DC that was in production "old primary", with
samba 4.1.

I transferred the FSMO roles to the new AD-DC with samba 4.16 "DC2" Now it
is the primary
I used
samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=all -UAdministrator

Yes, you must be very careful that you create another DC to replace the
> one that you are going to demote. One DC = bad, multiple DC's = good.

For now i have 2 DCs, the old production one and the new one with samba
4.16.
The idea is to make more than 2 after I can demote the old.

Sorry, but you do not backup a DC, you backup the domain with
> 'samba-tool domain backup offline' or 'samba-tool domain backup online'

Ok im going to try to use that command in the old server but I thought it
didn't exist in samba 4.1.

Thx.