[Samba] ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (3221225524, 'The object name is not found.')

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 22 10:16:23 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-08-22 at 21:30 +1200, Michael Doerner | TechnologyWise via
samba wrote:
> I have to look into a Samba4 installation from a former colleague
> that
> has been running for the last two years reliably.
>
> It's "old" unfortunately, version 4.11.6 and we are delaying the
> upgrade
> (scared of breaking it).

I would be more scared about all the CVE's that have been fixed after
4.11.6

> The administrator reported GPO related issues (GPO with new drive
> mappings via group membership seem not to be applied) and I tried
> the
> following:
>
> a)
> root at dmh002sv:/# samba-tool dbcheck
> Checking 1173 objects
> Checked 1173 objects (0 errors)
> root at dmh002sv:/#
>
> good
>
> b)
> root at dmh002sv:/# samba-tool gpo aclcheck -UAdministrator
>
> Processing section "[netlogon]"
> Processing section "[sysvol]"
> Processing section "[usr_profiles]"
> .. cut ..
> Processing section "[vpn_certs]"
> Processing section "[share_pool]"
>
> ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (3221225524, 'The object name
> is
> not found.')
>    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
> line
> 186, in _run
>      return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
>    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/gpo.py", line
> 1581,
> in run
>      fs_sd = conn.get_acl(sharepath, security.SECINFO_OWNER |
> security.SECINFO_GROUP | security.SECINFO_DACL,
> security.SEC_FLAG_MAXIMUM_ALLOWED)

It seems that it cannot find the GPO on disc. GPO's are stored in AD
and on disc, so I would start by checking in sysvol.
Is this the only DC ?

Rowland