[Samba] ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (3221225524, 'The object name is not found.')

Michael Doerner | TechnologyWise michael at tw.co.nz
Mon Aug 22 09:30:05 UTC 2022

I have to look into a Samba4 installation from a former colleague that
has been running for the last two years reliably.

It's "old" unfortunately, version 4.11.6 and we are delaying the upgrade
(scared of breaking it).

The administrator reported GPO related issues (GPO with new drive
mappings via group membership seem not to be applied) and I tried the
following:

a)
root at dmh002sv:/# samba-tool dbcheck
Checking 1173 objects
Checked 1173 objects (0 errors)
root at dmh002sv:/#

good

b)
root at dmh002sv:/# samba-tool gpo aclcheck -UAdministrator

Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[sysvol]"
Processing section "[usr_profiles]"
.. cut ..
Processing section "[vpn_certs]"
Processing section "[share_pool]"

ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (3221225524, 'The object name is
not found.')
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line
186, in _run
     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/gpo.py", line 1581,
in run
     fs_sd = conn.get_acl(sharepath, security.SECINFO_OWNER |
security.SECINFO_GROUP | security.SECINFO_DACL,
security.SEC_FLAG_MAXIMUM_ALLOWED)

Can someone point me where to start looking at? Because it has been
running reliable and I am pretty sure that there have been GPO changes
over the last two years, I suspect that maybe a recent GPO change is
causing this but don't know how to find and isolate a most recent GPO
change?

Thanks
Michael