[Samba] unix_primary_group not used when writing files

L. van Belle belle at samba.org
Thu Aug 18 08:37:18 UTC 2022

Hai.

> I have subsequently worked out that to get 'getent group' to show users I
> need to add the following to smb.conf:
>
> winbind expand groups = 1
>
> This now gives:
>
> $ getent group g_alice
> g_alice:x:12345:alice
>
> However even with this setting and having restarted samba etc the files are
> still group 'domain user'.

Yes and this IS correct and the default..
I recommend NOT to change it.. and you really must..
Change primaryGroupID in the AD, but really, use ACLS..

So whats set as ACL on  /home/alice
getfacl /home/alice

Then next part..
its what Rowland is saying, you should see all the users in the domain user group.

Whats set in /etc/nsswitch.conf ?  since your using ubuntu and I don’t think apparmor is bugging you.
if that’s the case you should see it in the syslog I think.

The smb.conf is correct. Ow. ps, one thing..
you don’t have " winbind refresh tickets = yes" in add it.
At least, the only thing I didn’t see.

I have this in nsswitch.conf on my debian buster/bullseye servers.

passwd:         compat winbind systemd
group:          compat winbind systemd
hosts:          files dns mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return]

Also keep this in mind..
You can add a windows users with UID/GID in a linux group.
You can not add a unix users to a Windows group.

So, what I think, the primary GroupID isnt changed from "domain users" to g_alice in the AD.
Or you hitting cache problem;  try also : net cache flush

but I pretty sure its one of the above points.

Greetz,

Louis