[Samba] smbpasswd and username map

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 10 15:43:16 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 10:29 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 8/10/22 10:18, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > Sorry, but I cannot see how you are running Windows and Samba.
>
> I *really* don't understand what you're asking here.

I am just saying that at this point in your previous post, I had no
idea how you were running Windows. I could not tell if you were running
a domain or a workgroup and how Samba connected to this.

> > Are the Windows users in a domain, if so, then (if your Linux
> > machine
> > is joined to the domain) the Unix user name for 'Frank Smith' will
> > be
> > the users samaccountname.
>
> Not a domain.  security = user, as I already mentioned.

'security = user' is only relevant to the Linux machines, your Windows
computers could be in a domain, but from what you are saying it is a
workgroup, which is only really maintainable for a small number of
machines, once you get into double figures it gets to be a pain.

> > You are running Samba as a standalone server (if this is a domain,
> > why
> > ?), so it will be the former, you will (from your example) have a
> > user
> > 'fsmith' in /etc/passwd, Samba will create a user 'fsmith' and then
> > map
> > 'Frank Smith' to that user.
>
> Right.  Got that.  Already done.
>
> All I need to do now is add Franklin Q. Smith (aka Frank Smith, aka
> fsmith) to the Samba password database with smbpasswd.  I simply need
> know which darn user name (fsmith or "Frank Smith") to use when I do
> so.

I told you that in my last post, 'fsmith', the local user.

Rowland