[Samba] smbpasswd and username map

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:29:34 UTC 2022

> Sorry, but I cannot see how you are running Windows and Samba.

I *really* don't understand what you're asking here.

> Are the Windows users in a domain, if so, then (if your Linux machine
> is joined to the domain) the Unix user name for 'Frank Smith' will be
> the users samaccountname.

Not a domain.  security = user, as I already mentioned.

> You are running Samba as a standalone server (if this is a domain, why
> ?), so it will be the former, you will (from your example) have a user
> 'fsmith' in /etc/passwd, Samba will create a user 'fsmith' and then map
> 'Frank Smith' to that user.

Right.  Got that.  Already done.

All I need to do now is add Franklin Q. Smith (aka Frank Smith, aka
fsmith) to the Samba password database with smbpasswd.  I simply need to
know which darn user name (fsmith or "Frank Smith") to use when I do so.