[Samba] smbpasswd and username map

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 10 15:18:41 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 10:06 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 8/10/22 08:41, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 08:34 -0500, Ian Pilcher via samba wrote:
> > > When adding a new user (or doing anything else) with smbpasswd,
> > > which
> > > user name should I use - the UNIX user name or the Windows user
> > > name?
> >
> > I think we need more info here, if Samba is setup correctly, the
> > Unix
> > user and the Windows user will be the same user, no map required.
>
> Huh?

Sorry, but I cannot see how you are running Windows and Samba.

> Imagine a person named "Franklin Q. Smith".  His Windows user name is
> "Frank Smith", and his UNIX user name is "fsmith".

Are the Windows users in a domain, if so, then (if your Linux machine
is joined to the domain) the Unix user name for 'Frank Smith' will be
the users samaccountname.

> The username map contains:
>
>    fsmith = "Frank Smith"
>
> Should I use 'smbpasswd -a fsmith' or 'smbpasswd -a "Frank Smith"' to
> add him to the database?  (security = user, BTW)

You are running Samba as a standalone server (if this is a domain, why
?), so it will be the former, you will (from your example) have a user
'fsmith' in /etc/passwd, Samba will create a user 'fsmith' and then map
'Frank Smith' to that user.

Rowland