[Samba] Domain join not happening on Debian/Ubuntu machines

Sac Isilia udaypratap.singh65 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 04:52:40 UTC 2022

Hi Team,

We are trying to domain join the Debian/Ubuntu machines via winbind . We
have attempted to join the RHEL servers in different domain and they were
successful.
But while joining the Debian machines we get below error.

root at cngzh1dnl01:~# net ads join -U media\\test_sachin

Enter media\test_sachin's password:

kerberos_kinit_password test_sachin at AP.MEDIA.GLOBAL.LOC failed: Client not
found in Kerberos database

*Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: Client not found in
Kerberos database*

root at cngzh1dnl01:~# systemctl restart winbind.service

Job for winbind.service failed because the control process exited with
error code.

See "systemctl status winbind.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

root at cngzh1dnl01:~#

The one thing we observed that we are using MEDIA domain to join the
servers in media and other domains available. This process works fine with
REDHAT as it joined across multiple domains using MEDIA\test_sachin but
same was not successful against debian machines.

We contacted our AD team but they said that our MEDIA account is resolving
to test_sachin at AP.MEDIA.GLOBAL.LOC  and the account is working fine and
there is issue on the linux side.

Can you help us clarify what can be the issue here that the same account
works fine for REDHAT servers but fails for Debian/Ubuntu and as matter of
fact for SUSE as well for domains other than MEDIA.

Domains LIst

media.global.loc

emea.media.global.loc

ap.media.global.loc