[Samba] working well with sssd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Sep 23 16:15:28 UTC 2021

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:20:00AM +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>I do not think we need sssd, we just need to make Samba easier to set
>up, something along the lines of a combination of the 'rid' and 'ad'
>backends, the 'rid' for idmapping and 'ad' for the rest of the rfc2307
>attributes. I cannot write 'C' code so cannot help here.
>
>We either need to swallow sssd into Samba and alter it to our uses or
>ignore it.

There are other options :-). Remember, some of the people
writing sssd are our colleagues on the Samba Team, and
we should try and appreciate their contributions a little
more :-).

Remember they are constrained by their job in how much they
can help w.r.t. making winbindd better (they are paid to
work on sssd after all) and unlike them you are able to
"speak truth to power" (that's one of the things I love
about you Rowland, you have a very Lancastrian ability to
speak your mind without fear or favour :-).

But if we can't help with sssd sometimes it's better
to be silent than berate people for what we think are..
lets just call them "less optimal choices" :-).

Proposing alternatives is fine, but remember, "you
can lead a horse to water, but.." :-).

Cheers,

Jeremy.