[Samba] working well with sssd

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 23 09:20:00 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-09-23 at 21:04 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-09-23 at 10:53 +0200, Ralph Boehme via samba wrote:
> > There is a real need.
> >
> > -slow
>
> There is also a real need for us to move past this 'we don't even try
> to work with sssd' thing.  That is both in terms of working in the
> code
> to make this 'just work' as much as can be done, with clear
> limitations
> specified, and in the practice on the list when queries come up.
>
> sssd has become established in terms of being the AD connector for
> Linux workstations and servers that don't run Samba.  We should
> congratulate their team for their achievements.  We were in the race,
> but didn't win this time.

Because we didn't try, you have been talking about doing a better
idmapping for the last 10 years that I know off, but that has all it
has been, talk.

> Shockingly we find that Samba isn't always the centre of the
> universe,
> and sometimes we will need to fit in with the organisational
> arrangements where 'best for Samba' isn't the primary
> criteria.  (Just
> as we exist to help linux systems fit into otherwise windows
> networks).
>
> I would also really love Samba AD to be an even better server to
> sssd,
> and while also a code question, moving past this mode of interaction
> is
> an important step also.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

I do not think we need sssd, we just need to make Samba easier to set
up, something along the lines of a combination of the 'rid' and 'ad'
backends, the 'rid' for idmapping and 'ad' for the rest of the rfc2307
attributes. I cannot write 'C' code so cannot help here.

We either need to swallow sssd into Samba and alter it to our uses or
ignore it.

Rowland