[Samba] id mapping

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 23 07:57:19 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-09-23 at 09:32 +0200, L. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Hai Ralph,
>
> I've been reading the thread now and.. Correct me where im wrong.
>
> Samba only needs a build parameter to enable idmap_sss or do i need
> more
> here?
> And when this is enabled, SSSD need to be rebuild with paramater
> --with-samba?
>
> Because, if thats the case, im starting today on the final 4.15.0
> builds
> and maybe i can add it and put these in a separeted repo.
> If its not to much works, i'll think about this.

Louis, please don't even think of doing this. Using sssd isn't
supported by Samba because Samba doesn't produce it and, as I have
shown previously, not even red hat supports its use with Samba.

NOTE: The following is just my opinion!

There appears to be two camps in red hat, one accepts that you
shouldn't use sssd with Samba >=4.8.0 , the other will not accept this.
Also if you do use sssd with Samba, there are numerous problems, one of
which is that RHEL 8 no longer has libpam-krb5

Rowland