[Samba] Ubuntu printing in a Windows10 USB printer

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 20 22:20:44 UTC 2021

Since no one has responded, I'm not sure this is an issue Samba can
address; it most certainly is a problem you don't want to solve with
Samba, if you can avoid it. You're talking about configuring a
non-trivial software stack just to be able to print from your Ubuntu
notebook.

The simple solution here is,

  if your printer has an ethernet port or wireless connectivity (almost
all do these days; heck my stove has a wireless interface in case I
decide to go insane and enable it to facilitate someone turning the oven
on remotely in the middle of the day),
  then make the printer an independent device on your network, assign an
IP address to it from the printer's web interface or control panel, and
cups on your Ubuntu laptop is liable to discover it automatically. (I
know this works on a wired network, not sure on wireless, as I haven't
tried it.) In any case, it should be easy to configure from there using
cups.

I wonder if anyone is still using Samba to serve up printers; that seems
very early 2000's or even late 90's.