[Samba] Issues with log rotation

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Wed Sep 1 09:06:24 UTC 2021

Hi,

On one of my systems running Samba 4.10.18-Ubuntu (by Louis) logs in
/var/log/samba are not being rotated which leads to the log folder getting
too big and bringing down the system.

I'm not sure what's going wrong here. In /etc/samba/smb.conf, I have

log level = 1
max log size = 10000

I don't have any reference to the log file as I assume that's only
necessary when deviating from the default. Clearly, log files in
/var/log/samba are being generated even in the absence of this entry.

On my Ubuntu system, there is further a logrotate entry for Samba in
/etc/logrotate.d/samba with the following content:

/var/log/samba/log.smbd {
        weekly
        missingok
        rotate 7
        postrotate
                [ ! -x /usr/bin/smbcontrol ] || [ ! -f
/var/run/samba/smbd.pid ] || /usr/bin/smbcontrol smbd reload-config
        endscript
        compress
        delaycompress
        notifempty
}

/var/log/samba/log.nmbd {
        weekly
        missingok
        rotate 7
        postrotate
                [ ! -x /usr/bin/smbcontrol ] || [ ! -f
/var/run/samba/nmbd.pid ] || /usr/bin/smbcontrol nmbd reload-config
        endscript
        compress
        delaycompress
        notifempty
}

/var/log/samba/log.samba {
        weekly
        missingok
        rotate 7
        postrotate
                if [ -d /run/systemd/system ] && command systemctl
>/dev/null 2>&1 && systemctl is-active --quiet samba-ad-dc; then
                        systemctl kill --kill-who all --signal=SIGHUP
samba-ad-dc
                elif [ -f /var/run/samba/samba.pid ]; then
                        # This only sends to main pid, See #803924
                        kill -HUP `cat /var/run/samba/samba.pid`
                fi
        endscript
        compress
        delaycompress
        notifempty
}

I'm not sure how this fits together with the entries in smb.conf and if one
depends on the other. But my understanding is that /var/log/samba/log.samba
should be rotated weekly and that only 7 files should be kept.

Anyway, clearly neither one nor the other is working as log.samba is just
growing and growing and there is not a single .old file for log.samba.

Any advice on how to mitigate this situation?

Thanks,
Vic