[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:34:21 UTC 2021

On 26-10-2021 15:12, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
>>> Thats what i think but i might not gotten the big picture yet here.
>> This was the OP first post:
>>
>> https://www.spinics.net/lists/samba/msg170503.html
>>
>> It might help to understand.
>>
> Ah,, thats all..
>
> So
>> I have a Linux server, and a NAS device from Synology. Both systems
>> have matching sets of user names.
> You must have matching usernames AND passwords AND UID/GIDS on both devices at least..
> And LDAP/AD-DC helps here on that part.

What I remember from this whole series of posts is that indeed the
usernames are matching but UIDs/GIDs are not. That is why NFS does not
do the trick. Since Samba does not need Linux UIDs/GIDs as it can do
idmapping it could potentially bypass the UID/GID issue.

With AD (kerberos) you could do a multi-user mount as root with a keytab
(similar to NFS) and then use the permissions on the share to determine
which user can do what and use Samba's idmapping.

My feeling is that the goal is close to this scenario but without
AD/kerberos.

- Kees