[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Oct 26 13:12:33 UTC 2021

> > Thats what i think but i might not gotten the big picture yet here.
>
> This was the OP first post:
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/samba/msg170503.html
>
> It might help to understand.

Ah,, thats all..

So
> I have a Linux server, and a NAS device from Synology. Both systems
> have matching sets of user names.

You must have matching usernames AND passwords AND UID/GIDS on both devices at least..
And LDAP/AD-DC helps here on that part.

>From the server, I create a mount through the following command:
$ sudo mount.cifs //diskstation/usr /mnt -ouser=master,multiuser,setuids,idsfromsid

I'll assume ..  Mounting /usr ? /mnt

This is the user home //diskstation/usr  ( and better use //FQ.DN.diskstation/usr )
/mnt/folder, better dont mess with the first folders /mnt
always create a new folder there and use that one.

> How may I achieve the desired mapping of ownership and permissions,
> based on user name?

I personaly dont use mount.cifs.
So i cant tell much on that but i have seen very nice example here on the samba list.

My large mail text crashed and .. Didnt save it ..
Sight..

But maybe soon i'll be using..
https://www.windowsfx.org/
:-) the time to leave windows desktops getting closer..
Collega already installed and testing it. (its ubuntu + kde as base)

Greetz,

Louis