[Samba] More on Group Policy Wiki page

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Mon Oct 25 14:27:18 UTC 2021

On 10/23/21 7:57 AM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:>
>>    The relevant question is how is this URL being resolved?
>
> Sorry, but I didn't write the code and I haven't read it in depth, so I
> do not know how the URL is resolved, except that it is usually done on
> a round-robin basis.
>

>> And never mind how horrible this design is.  The exclusion of -H
>> should
>> always indicate a local installation.  Good grief.

Technically I *did* write this, but in my defense, it was mostly
copy/paste from another command ;)
Here is the relevant code:

         if H and H.startswith('ldap://'):

             dc_hostname = H[7:]

             self.url = H

         else:

             dc_hostname = netcmd_finddc(self.lp, self.creds)

             self.url = dc_url(self.lp, self.creds, dc=dc_hostname)

Which says, if -H is specified (and it is an ldap url), then use it.
Otherwise, pick a DC (in round robin fashion, as Rowland pointed out) in
the domain your are joined to. Technically this should work regardless,
as the SYSVOL will replicate the admx templates.
It would probably make more sense to check if we're on a DC, then point
to ourselves if we are.

Sorry about being unclear about msiextract. It is indeed a command you
would install on Linux.

--
*David Mulder*
Labs Software Engineer, Samba