[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Oct 24 19:56:13 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-10-24 at 12:34 -0700, Gregory Sloop via samba wrote:
> > I think you mean 'nuts' :-D
> > If you do, then I must be a double nut, I run two rpi4's with a DC
> > on
> > each (less electric). I wouldn't use them for a large business, but
> > they are ideal for my small home test domain.
>
> I mean it's for the dogs!
>
> (Yeah, I meant nuts. Perhaps I should have said "glutton for
> punishment" instead.)
>
> I've been more enamored with Pi's in the past. But I've been bit in
> the backside too many time by abrupt SD card failures.

That is a problem, SD cards are okay for general tinkering, but I
wouldn't run a DC on one.

> The $30/year (or so) I pay to run a XCP hypervisor vs a Pi is totally
> worth it for me, because it saves me time, and frustration.
> (And it has a ton of additional utility that the Pi doesn't.)
>
> I think you can run regular SSD's on Pi's now - and perhaps that
> would alleviate my biggest peeve about Pi's -

I should have said, one of my DC's uses a SSD, the other USB HDD.

>  but it wouldn't make up for a ton of other utility having a real VM
> setup with all the advantages for testing; snapshots, spinning up
> test environments, etc. (I even run pihole on a XCP based VM -
> instead of a Pi.)

Whatever floats your boat, as I said, there are numerous ways of
running a DC, all of them are better than running a workgroup, as I
also said, I have been there, done that, never again.

Rowland