[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 25 20:45:03 UTC 2021

On 10/24/21 14:34, Gregory Sloop via samba wrote:

>> I think you mean 'nuts' :-D
>> If you do, then I must be a double nut, I run two rpi4's with a DC on
>> each (less electric). I wouldn't use them for a large business, but
>> they are ideal for my small home test domain.
>
> I mean it's for the dogs!
>
> (Yeah, I meant nuts. Perhaps I should have said "glutton for punishment" instead.)
>
> I've been more enamored with Pi's in the past. But I've been bit in the backside too many time by abrupt SD card failures.
> The $30/year (or so) I pay to run a XCP hypervisor vs a Pi is totally worth it for me, because it saves me time, and frustration.
> (And it has a ton of additional utility that the Pi doesn't.)
>
> I think you can run regular SSD's on Pi's now - and perhaps that would alleviate my biggest peeve about Pi's - but it wouldn't make up for a ton of other utility having a real VM setup with all the advantages for testing; snapshots, spinning up test environments, etc. (I even run pihole on a XCP based VM - instead of a Pi.)
>
> But IMO, if running a Pi was the only way to run the DC, I'd still recommend that over not, to the OP.

For what it's worth, I'm doing a Samba deployment right now where they
only have one server available for Samba (previously, a PDC).  So I'm
running Samba-AD-DC in an LXD container on this server, connected to a
public facing bridge.  Works great.

If you only have linux machines, Samba is absolutely not the tool you
want.  As already mentioned, NFS does exactly what you want already.