[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

Eric Levy contact at ericlevy.name
Sat Oct 23 05:12:05 UTC 2021

The former deployment you have described seems to fall into the class
of cases I have labeled (2), (i.e. "with support from a domain
server").

The latter one also may fall into this class, but I may not understand
the meaning of "Samba is the domain controller". If Samba is the domain
controller, then a domain controller exists, which I believe makes this
deployment also suitable for association with class (2).

The proposed class (3) entails no domain server, or any similar
component, only a file server and client.

Perhaps some nuance surrounds the implications of a domain controller
co-located with the file server, but I believe, not knowing the full
details of these systems, that this difference is simply a deployment
detail of which software components reside on which hardware nodes, and
not one that bears on the distinctions among the classes I have
defined.

In particular, I believe that one feature of the latter deployment, as
well as the former, is that the file server is configured to recognize
a domain server as part of the overall deployment. Suppose you wish to
configure a client for a file server that has no association with a
domain server. Under such circumstances, I believe any use case falls
under class (1), which precludes the client creating a multiuser mount.
My argument largely centers around the observation that a multiuser
mount only may be realized through support for a proposed use-case
class (3).