[Samba] domain-free multi-user use cases

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Sat Oct 23 04:32:31 UTC 2021

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding what you're getting at, but Samba
definitely supports more use-cases than that, and from what I can tell it
supports what you're describing as the "third option".

I have a ~30-server deployment where Linux or FreeBSD boxes are domain
members and users access their files (via group policy redirected documents
and various file shares via mapped drives) after they sign into Windows.
That's one user per workstation accessing multiple central servers each
using their own domain creds.

I also have another client with a ~20 server deployment across multiple
sites where Samba is *the* domain controller for the domain.  No Windows
Domain Controllers involved anywhere.  Management is done from a Windows 10
VM with RSAT tools installed.
Users are pulling NETLOGON/SYVOL as well as their redirected documents and
a few mapped shares after they sign in to Windows.  This client also has a
bunch of RDS servers users sign in to remotely.
That's a handful of central RDS servers (with multiple users on each
server) accessing shares on multiple Samba servers each with their own
permissions.

Perhaps you could go into a bit more detail and help me understand what I'm
missing?

Thanks,

-A