[Samba] Exclamation point (!) in password

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 7 16:51:55 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-10-07 at 13:19 +0200, Tobias Kirchhofer via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently we updated our Samba AD and Samba fileserver to 4.15.0-
> SerNet-RedHat-4.el8 and discovered a problem with a user wanted to
> connect to a samba share from a current macOS. The user has a
> exclamation point (!) at the very end of the password string. Samba
> disagrees with that and replies with an authentication error.
>
> Testwise we changed the ‚!‘ to the penultimate character and the
> logon works again.
>
> This behaviour must be introduced with a version after 14.13 where we
> came from. Is this a known issue? Could not find something.

If the password was unchanged in Samba during this process, then this
is a client-side challenge - only the client will have access to the
plaintext password, we on the server just get various types of
challenge/response hashes.  (The exception is LDAP simple bind).

I hope this helps narrow things down.  I think Nico is onto the point.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions