[Samba] Exclamation point (!) in password

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Oct 7 14:14:52 UTC 2021

Yes, what you showed on that cartoon is correct..
But still, I dont agree on statement (anymore, i use to also but..)

A record was set for a computer trying to generate every conceivable password.
It achieved a rate faster than 100,000,000,000 guesses per second.

Quantum computer are getting way way smaller..
https://newatlas.com/quantum-computing/quantum-computing-desktop-room-temperature/
It's not there yet, but its getting close..

So yeah, i do recommend everyone to use a long password as shown in that cartoon
But with complexity, because yeah, it was fairly nonsensical, with only 8 chars..
I recommend minimal 18 in length.

This is why for example a bitcoin wallet has 12/24 words to unlock it.

If its a bug then its a bug.. and this smells to me like a bug.

Greetz,

Louis