[Samba] Unable to net ads join samba to an active directory domain Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: Can't contact LDAP server

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 18 11:16:40 UTC 2021

> At one time, setting up a Unix domain member was all on one page,
> basically as you are suggesting and it confused everyone. After it was
> split up into separate pages, the confusion level went down
> significantly. It isn't perfect and will probably get tweaked over
> time.

What would be useful and likely drive up Samba usage:

A couple of breadcrumbs paths on the landing page; e.g.

If you're trying to do THIS, then

    read this -> then this -> then this -> then this

If you're trying to do THAT, then

    read that -> then that -> then that -> then that

(A complete lack of directionality is my general complaint about Wiki
documentation.)

In addition to a few distro-specific bare-metal-to-nirvana step by step
howto's for specific scenarios.  As I recall, this used to exist in the
old Samba 3 documentation, or something similar.  The justification for
this is, how often have you looked at an in production system and then
used that as the primary resource for an upgrade or building a new system?