[Samba] POSIX vs. Windows ACLs

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 18 10:48:10 UTC 2021

On 11/16/21 08:50, Stefan Kania via samba wrote:
> why don't you use pam-mount for the Linux-clients? If they are in the
> domain it works fine, and you won't have problems with the permission

The problem is I have at least one linux machine at a remote location
that can't join the domain for political / other organization security
reasons.  Right now I have them using ssh-fuse there, and of course the
permissions just work because there's no Windows in the middle. In a
second iteration I might be able to put them on WireGuard, in which case
this would become an option.

I'm scarred by SMB mounting resources from an actual Windows box to
linux because Windows is such a terrible team player.

I wonder if pam_mount is why autofs has fallen into such poor use,
though.  It's hard to maintain the absolute perfection of an all linux
environment.