[Samba] NT4 domain member support

Gérard Guével gguevel at interfaceconcept.com
Tue Nov 2 12:00:03 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have inherited an old NT4-style PDC with many domain members running Samba version 4.1.17-Debian.
Before migrating from NT to AD, I have to preserve some old servers on new servers running Samba version 4.13.5-Debian.
Is there a way to configure samba 4.13.5 to connect to the old NT4 PDC and retreive the DOMAIN users and groups?

I have read a recent post " [Samba] Documentation update (NT4 domain support)" which says
"Additionally, all recent versions continue to support setting up a new NT4-style PDC.
The AD support in Samba 4.0 and later is optional and does not replace any of the PDC features.
The Samba team understand the difficulty presented by existing LDAP structures.
For that reason, there is no plan to remove the classic PDC support.
Additionally we continue testing the PDC support in our continuous integration system."

Thanks for your help.
Gerard