[Samba] Printserver after latest MS updates

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Wed Nov 10 22:49:19 UTC 2021

Am 03.11.2021 um 17:43 schrieb Christian via samba:
> Dear all,
>
> sorry, I am lost with this and would be grateful for a summary. We run an active directory based on samba 4.14.7 with a print server that is configured for driver download. Connecting to printers
> and printing from domain-joined computers by logged-in domain users seems to work. Is this the expected behavior right now or did we just get lucky?
>
> On non domain joined computers, we experience issues even if users connect to the printserver using their domain credentials. Connecting to printers fails with the evil 0x00000709 message. Is there
> any known working configuration for this that does not involve uninstalling the MS updates? Like a change on the server side or a registry fix on the non domain joined computer?
>
> Thanks for any input,
>
> Christian
The issue did not get fixed with the November update. On bleeping computer today these registry keys where posted by user grumpyoldadmin. And should fix the issue.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/759880/kb5006670-network-printer-problems-again-this-month/page-20#entry5278630

Windows 10 2004, 20H2, 21H1 and 21H2:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Policies\Microsoft\FeatureManagement\Overrides]
"713073804"=dword:00000000

Windows 10 1909:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Policies\Microsoft\FeatureManagement\Overrides]
"1921033356"=dword:00000000

Windows 10 1809 and Windows Server 2019:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Policies\Microsoft\FeatureManagement\Overrides]
"3598754956"=dword:00000000

I tried it on my Windows 10 1809 LTSC workstation and at first it did not work. Did abit more research and in 1809 / 1909 an additional step is neccesarry before the reboot an task must run.
Can be done with this onelinier in powershell with elevated rights:

Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName "ReconcileFeatures" | Start-ScheduledTask

Did another reboot and now connection to printmanagement and printing is working again using an local user account. Also the NTLMv2 spool auth request went away.

Achim