[Samba] How do users access shares?

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Tue Nov 9 13:46:57 UTC 2021

On 11/9/21 9:21 AM, Rob Campbell wrote:
> What I would want is for all users to have a mnt directory in their home
> that these shares would mount to.  So user 'tester' would have
> /home/tester/mnt/Photos /home/tester/mnt/Videos /home/tester/mnt/Music.
> I guess I could create a standard mount point like /mnt/Photos
> /mnt/Videos /mnt/Music but then, how do I restrict access to what the
> share says @HOME\"Media Users"?  And how do I do I give write access to
> only @HOME\"Media Admins"?
>
> I used gio mount smb://fs01/Photos and that created the share in
> Nautilus but I can't use my programs with that.  I tried the symlink ln
> -s /run/user/2002/gvfs/smb-share\:server\=fs01\,share\=Photos but that
> symlink didn't work at all.

Please provide more details about "I can't use my programs with that"
and "symlink didn't work at all" because here any program can use files
on the mounted directory at /run/user/<uid>/gvfs and even the a link
testing it here.

What will not happen is the link to automount, you will always need to
do the gio mount thing, Maybe from a login script.

The idea of these FUSE based tools is for the drives to be mounted on
demand. The problem start with programs that don't use the current
desktop way of mounting things, so they don't know how to show these
mounted directories on their Load/Save dialogs. So I get why you want
some kind of way to have a known directory inside the user home for
these files.