[Samba] Samba4 + FreeIPA

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:08:25 UTC 2021

On 11/5/21 08:49, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Just a short reply on this part.
>
>> Currently, the Samba project is hurt by a lack of good documentation.
> I dont fully agree here.. So its a .. Yes and No.
>
> There is lots of good documentation, but a "simple" NT4Dom is totaly different
> from an ADDOM, lots of things need to be taken account of and more basic knowledge
> these days is (sadly) needed, but that with almost any software.
>
> Older samba 3.x and NT4 is so different and in different i mean, more strict
> to setup correctly.
>
>> Samba 3 documentation was really good, but that effort wasn't
>> repeated
>> for v. 4 for some reason. There are no current books available,
>
> Well, there is a very good book, but .. Can you read german?
> https://www.kania-online.de/fachbuecher/samba-4/

Oh, cool!  I can read/speak German. I wonder if he's interested in a
translated edition, not that I probably have time to do this myself.

Agreed  on NT domain vs. AD domain.  One documentation step that would
help tremendously is to *completely* separate the NT, AD, and workgroup
documentation.  Who cares if this results in repetition of some things?