[Samba] Using samba-tool to join a linux file server to the domain doesn't appear to work

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Thu Nov 4 14:57:12 UTC 2021

On 11/4/21 8:53 AM, David Mulder via samba wrote:

> What you don't see under the hood, is that there *is* only one way of
> doing it. samba-tool domain join member is just calling net ads join,
> and samba-tool domain leave (the command I'm just now adding), just
> calls net ads leave. The point was, that the samba-tool command to join
> was confusing, since it never actually worked. So I pointed it to net
> ads join (using python bindings to the actual c call that net ads join
> makes).
> Adding these samba-tool commands eliminates the confusion, and prevents
> having 2 'correct' ways of doing it, since they call the same exact code
> paths.

I guess I should point out that this is only *mostly* true. The
samba-tool domain join member command allows you to specify the join
domain from the command line (and puts it in your smb.conf). With net
ads join, you had to add this to your smb.conf manually. So the
samba-tool command is slightly different.

--
*David Mulder*
Labs Software Engineer, Samba
dmulder at suse.com