[Samba] package aware type 3 print drivers

Lambertz, Björn b.lambertz at fz-juelich.de
Wed Nov 3 08:57:47 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I got a question about package aware type 3 print drivers on samba. I
uploaded the newest type 3 Ricoh Universal Drivers (PS and PCL) to my samba
print server. They are not shown as package aware in the print management
console (extra column to add).

The driver inf file says, the driver is package aware and on the windows
print server the same driver is shown as package aware.

Also it does not behave like a type 3 package aware driver: the windows
clients need administrative rights to install the driver - the same driver
from windows print server can be installed without giving admin credentials.

Is this a bug?

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 and samba version 4.11.6+dfsg-0ubuntu1.10 (newest
available in distro repo) and spoolssd is enabled.

Thank you for any insights,

Björn