[Samba] sambatool online backups

Matt Ivie Matt.Ivie at IONData.Systems
Tue Nov 2 19:00:56 UTC 2021

I'm running samba 4.9.5 on Debian Buster and trying to use samba-tool
to do an online backup of the domain. I'm not having very good luck.
I'm running into an error which has been on this mailing list
previously.

Here is the error:

Cloned domain ------ (SID S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx)
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (3221225506, '{Access Denied} A
process has requested access to an object but has not been granted
those access
rights.')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 177, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-
packages/samba/netcmd/domain_backup.py", line 243, in run
    backup_online(smb_conn, sysvol_tar, remote_sam.get_domain_sid())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/ntacls.py", line 499, in
backup_online
    ntacl_sddl_str = smb_helper.get_acl(r_name, as_sddl=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/ntacls.py", line 322, in
get_acl
    smb_path, SECURITY_SECINFO_FLAGS, SECURITY_SEC_FLAGS)

The solution given in those threads was to do an offline backup using
samba 4.10. I will likely upgrade to samba 4.10 at some point in the
future but not at the moment. My question is whether anyone has come up
with a way to resolve this issue, or if there is a different way I can
backup.

Shouldn't I be able to shut down my samba service and make a full
backup of the /var/run/samba directory?

Thanks
--
Matt Ivie