[Samba] Reverse Lookup Zone Not Loaded by DNS Server

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 15:23:19 UTC 2021

On 27 May 2021 15:59 Rowland penny wrote:
> On 27/05/2021 15:25, Roy Eastwood via samba wrote:
> >

> >> You do not seem to be using 'eth0' (or similar):
> > Yes there's an ethernet bridge (br0) for the lxc/lxd containers which are also on this box (a member server is running as a file server
> in a container).
> > That's the interface which has the ip address for the box.   The actual ethernet interface is enp10s0, but doesn't get an ip address.
>

> OK, you know that and now I know it, but does Samba know it ?
>
> Try adding these lines to your smb.conf:
>
>      bind interfaces only = Yes
>      interfaces = lo br0

I had these lines in but had to remove them because of a bug which prevented smbd from starting.    I assume that's been fixed now because I have uncommented the lines and smbd starts as normal AND the ipv6 errors have also gone!   So that seems to be the fix for the ipv6 log errors, but the original problem remains.

> The other thing is, I wouldn't run a Samba DC in a container, I have
> read numerous problems on this list from people who have tried.

I agree and the DC is running not in a container but on the actual hardware.  The container is used for the file server so that it's a separate samba installation and doesn't come with the disadvantages of sharing files from the DC.

> Rowland

Thanks Rowland.

Regards,
Roy