[Samba] Samba on AIX with security = ads - does it actually work?

Ben Huntsman ben at huntsmans.net
Mon May 24 15:38:29 UTC 2021

Hi there! Thank you for the reply, John!

>Look at the default value of "registry" in /etc/security/user, that
>specifies which method from /etc/methods.cfg will be used for user lookup.
 >Watch out if you change the default to WINBIND to make sure you override
>that back to the old setting on a per user stanza basis for non AD users
>on the system.
<https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba>
I have the following set in /etc/security/user:

default:
  SYSTEM = "compat OR WINBIND"

Earlier I had tried adding "registry = WINBIND" to that as well, but it did not change the behavior.

Do you have Samba working on any of your AIX systems with "security = ads"? Would you be willing to share your smb.cfg's [global] section, krb5.conf, methods.cfg, and /etc/security/user's default: section (appropriately sanitized, of course)?

I can't thank you enough!

-Ben