[Samba] Samba on AIX with security = ads - does it actually work?

John P Janosik jpjanosi at us.ibm.com
Mon May 24 13:14:08 UTC 2021

> On 23/05/2021 22:57, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> > On 23/05/2021 22:17, Ben Huntsman wrote:
> >> Hi there, and thank you for the reply!  Very much appreciated!

> >> Right, I want the AD users to *not* be in /etc/passwd.  What I'm
> >> saying is that if I don't put them in there, then they can't connect
> >> to the server via \\<aix host name> at all.
> >

> > I have never used AIX, but it sounds like you are missing the AIX
> > versions of the Debian packages libnss-winbind and libpam-winbind
> > and/or winbind isn't running. By using the 'rid' backend it should
> > just work, the other thing is, does AIX have /etc/nsswitch.conf and is

> > it set correctly ?

> >> Agreed, but this isn't part of the actual issue at hand.  I will
> >> tighten up security but I want to get basic connectivity working
first.

> > Understood

> >> Apparently I missed one, but I was trying to sanitize the logs so it
> >> didn't contain specifics of my environment.  They should have all
> >> said 'MY' in the examples I posted.  The configuration provided works

> >> perfectly for users who are in AD and also have a matching AIX
account.

> > Then it isn't working, the AIX users will be used before the AD users
> > if they are the same username, you do not need the users in
/etc/passwd.

> >> Yes, but I also have "read only = no" in the [global] section.
> >

> > Not a good idea, that sets it for all shares, just set it in the
shares.

> >>  Regardless, the individual shares are beside the point.  Right now
> >> AD users not in /etc/passwd can't even get to \\<aix host name>
> >> whereas users in /etc/passwd (with matching AD accounts) can.
> >

> > Going round in circles here, you need to fix the links, try reading
this:

> > INVALID URI REMOVED

u=https-3A__wiki.samba.org_index.php_Configuring-5FWinbindd-5Fon-5Fa-5FSamba-5FAD-5FDC-23Libnss-5Fwinbind-5FLinks&d=DwIF-
> g&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=0Dp1Q-

C82_YdGZkYbRCzwwF7MPW3Xm2J3i_0sW8Izuc&m=FH4219Sm1N4o1J25Cc6kf6qsgzX6rD0V4QbiA-
> ziEeE&s=CVp1jjI89QFGlZ8IL44MXzsMtACt6beTnb70fa_LdmE&e=
> >

> >> I followed those two links you sent as closely as I was able given
> >> that they are written for Linux and not AIX.  AIX has no
> >> nsswitch.conf and uses the stanza in /etc/methods.cfg I provided for
> >> the same purpose.  But, I didn't see in those articles an answer to
> >> why Samba realizes that the user is valid but we still get an
> >> NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL when the user doesn't have an AIX account.
> >>  Security ramifications aside, my read of the documentation suggests
> >> that my configs as provided should work.  I feel like I'm missing
> >> something very AIX-specific here, or that this is a bug...
> >>
> >> Thanks again, and I look forward to getting to the bottom of this!
> >>
> > Ah, we need someone who does use AIX, I can only tell you how to use
> > Samba on Debian etc.

Look at the default value of "registry" in /etc/security/user, that
specifies which method from /etc/methods.cfg will be used for user lookup.
 Watch out if you change the default to WINBIND to make sure you override
that back to the old setting on a per user stanza basis for non AD users
on the system.

> > Rowland
> >

> And that someone seems to be Bjorn Jacke, try looking at this:
> INVALID URI REMOVED
> u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DFwQpcnb-2DjTs&d=DwIF-
> g&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=0Dp1Q-

C82_YdGZkYbRCzwwF7MPW3Xm2J3i_0sW8Izuc&m=FH4219Sm1N4o1J25Cc6kf6qsgzX6rD0V4QbiA-
> ziEeE&s=fSCVr0vi9g-zom894qHy7APWEAqC5-4nyIgLLpp-g6I&e=
>
> Rowland

John Janosik