[Samba] Change user password with LDAP

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Sat May 15 04:14:07 UTC 2021

Hi Hernan,

Yes, you can absolutely change an AD user's password via LDAP. You got
it right; you need to edit unicodePwd which is UTF-16 encoded with
quotes. Why not just go ahead and try it?

Here's the official spec:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-adts/6e803168-f140-4d23-b2d3-c3a8ab5917d2

Here's another reference:
https://ldapwiki.com/wiki/UnicodePwd#section-UnicodePwd-TheSyntaxOfTheUnicodePwdAttribute

Here's how the Python ldap3 extend.microsoft.modify_password() API
implements it:
https://github.com/cannatag/ldap3/blob/78c449dd/ldap3/extend/microsoft/modifyPassword.py#L46-L50

Jonathon