[Samba] Automated samba online backup.

Christopher Wensink cwensink at five-star-plastics.com
Fri Mar 19 18:17:54 UTC 2021

We accomplish what your asking without asking for an admin password, but
it's not done through samba-tool.  We have an external Synology NAS
device with 72 TB of total storage, that remotely connects into the
samba file share machine each night, and takes a file system backup.  It
additionally takes a full VM backup each night via a system snapshot.

There is no direct connection for the samba machine to connect to the
Synology, the Synology is reaching in and pulling out backups, this way
if the samba file share machine is compromised it will not affect the
backup machine.  DSM w/ Active Backup for business has worked pretty
well for us, and there are options to simply use rsync  on a shell on
the device if you want to do things that way too.  We went with a 12 bay
Rackmount model, but there are consumer budget friendly devices
available that have have the same functionality.

Chris

--
Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator