[Samba] Local vs public domain dns

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 14:26:46 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 9:15 AM Philippe LeCavalier via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> I'm definitely going to see through getting myself setup with your ADman
> tool but just out of curiosity, is there a way to add the additional domain
> using samba-tool or some other native samba method?

AFAIK no, there is not. You have to use the Windows management tools. There
are plenty of other AD tasks that also require those tools (for now), so
you might as well join a Windows VM and install the RSAT package.

Looking back at my notes, I confirm that yes, you have to use "Active
Directory Domains and Trusts":
https://jonathonreinhart.com/posts/blog/2019/02/11/setting-up-a-samba-4-domain-controller-on-debian-9

There's also this little blurb in the Samba Wiki:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Naming_FAQ#My_User_Logins_Does_Not_Match_My_Email