[Samba] Local vs public domain dns

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Fri Mar 12 14:41:01 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 9:27 AM Jonathon Reinhart <
jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK no, there is not. You have to use the Windows management tools.
> There are plenty of other AD tasks that also require those tools (for now),
> so you might as well join a Windows VM and install the RSAT package.
>
> Looking back at my notes, I confirm that yes, you have to use "Active
> Directory Domains and Trusts":
>
> https://jonathonreinhart.com/posts/blog/2019/02/11/setting-up-a-samba-4-domain-controller-on-debian-9
>

> There's also this little blurb in the Samba Wiki:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Naming_FAQ#My_User_Logins_Does_Not_Match_My_Email

Thanks again Johnathan. I figured as much...  I haven't had great
experiences with VM thus far with regards to running a Windows desktop for
that purpose. I use so soledomly that by the time tI go to load it up it's
ridiculously out of date...yadda yadda yadda. Plus Virtualbox tends to be
more and more of a pain in the rear end as of late. Anyways /rant over.
Thanks again for taking the time to provide good info.