[Samba] Windows 10 cannot connect without SMB1

K.R. Foley kr at cybsft.com
Thu Mar 4 20:55:08 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-03 10:39, K.R. Foley wrote:
> On 2021-03-02 10:32, K.R. Foley via samba wrote:

>>> OK, I have downloaded the latest Win10 ISO, installed it in a VM and
>>> it joined my Samba 4.13.2 AD domain. I am now of the opinion that it
>>> is something in your setup that is causing this and I think it may be
>>> your PDC which relies on two things. SMBv1 and netbios. Netbios does
>>> not use dns, so this may be replying to the Win10 search for a DC.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> Thanks. This evening I am going to try isolating the VMs completely.
>> If I am unable to isolate them completely, I may just turn off the PDC
>> momentarily to test. I will report back with my results.
>>

> Just a quick update on this. I was able to test with a freshly
> installed Windows 10 VM last night that was not updated to the latest
> patch and it was able to join the AD without issue.
>
> I was not able to isolate the other VM and Samba server last night,
> but should be able to this evening. So, I will isolate them on a
> vswitch to see if the old PDC is in fact causing the join problem with
> the original test VM or if it is something else.

I have additional results to report. I isolated the initial Windows 10
VM and the Samba server VM on a vswitch with no uplink interfaces. I
still could not join the Windows 10 VM to the AD. So, it does not appear
to be a problem with the old PDC or some outside interference. Just for
verification I also took the freshly installed Windows 10 VM and was
able to join the AD on that same Samba server VM. So, there is something
broken, but at this point it seems to be the something on the Windows
VM.

The freshly installed Windows 10 VM (joins)
Windows 10 Pro
2004
19041.804

The previous Windows 10 VM (doesn't join)
Windows 10 pro
20H2
19042.844

I am not sure if it is the patchlevel of the two VMs or something else
causing the problem.

Thanks.
kr