[Samba] Windows 10 cannot connect without SMB1

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 1 15:19:28 UTC 2021

On 01/03/2021 15:04, K. R. Foley wrote:

> The firewall is disabled on the client PC. The client and the server
> are on 2 separate subnets separated by a VPN. I am not aware of any
> filtering going on between the two, but I can't say for sure without
> checking. Is there a list of ports somewhere that I can check to make
> sure that they are all being routed over the VPN? I have already
> checked everything that I can see in netstat on the server.

For port usage, see these wiki pages:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_NT4_PDC_Port_Usage

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Domain_Member_Port_Usage

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_Port_Usage

> Keep in mind that the client can join the domain fine if I enable SMB1
> on the client. I don't want to use SMB1. That is why I am trying to
> figure this out. The client seems to think that the server is asking
> for SMB1.

This is what I am struggling with, by default SMBv1 is turned off from
Samba 4.11.0 , if you want to use SMBv1 then you have to explicitly set
it in smb.conf. You haven't set it, so your DC shouldn't be using it,
perhaps it is the client that is using it ?

Rowland