[Samba] NTLM Authentication failing after DC updated and restarted. Shares are asking for a password constantly.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 4 20:30:48 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-06-04 at 21:11 +0100, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 04/06/2021 21:00, Anthony via samba wrote:
> > Has anyone come across this before or knows what might be going on?
> > I've
> > tried a variety of fixes including adding and removing things from
> > the
> > configuration file and restarting services. I rolled the updates
> > back on
> > the DC and rebooted again. Still nothing.
> >
> > SMB version 3.6.23-53.el6_10
> >
> > Windows 2019 Domain Controller
> >
> > Most of our computers can no longer connect to our SMB shares. This
> > started
> > happening after I rebooted our DC that Samba points to for ADS.
> > Updates
> > were installed on the DC before the reboot. The last time this DC
> > was
> > updated or rebooted was January. (I know..)
>
> You are worried about the DC not being updated since January, but
> seemingly have no worries about using a totally dead version of
> Samba
> that is probably only using SMBv1
>
> What OS is this ?

The version indicates CentOS 6 / RHEL 6.

I think you are on the money, the client is connecting with SMB1 and
the new logic on the DC is not to permit any SMB1 connections.  MS has
been locking this down for some time now.

Rolling back the updates probably didn't roll back the setting the
update applied.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions