[Samba] multiuser with simple user mapping

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Jul 2 14:50:33 UTC 2021

Well, basicly thats great, because that does give you options.

> As stated, I am not entirely
> against using one if it would help, especially if I may do so
> using the features provided on the Synology device. As stated also,
> the preference is to keep matters as simple as possible, and having no
> domain is simpler than having one.
Well, yes, thats true, but keep in mind that, almost any OS is increasing
security settings, a "easy" setup now, might bit you later on.

> Thus, I might prefer a solution not requiring a domain,
That one you must deside..

> if available. It seems, though, from comments, that none is available.
>
> Regarding clients or other information, please let me know if I can
> offer you more useful information. It seems you feel that the way this
> question is resolved ought to be planned for some fixed
> number and type of clients, but the fact is this information would
> be quite dynamic.
> Connections would be made by various laptops and handheld devices that
> would be connected to the LAN at various times, as well as
> occasionally by desktops on a WAN.

> None of these devices would exist exclusively as
> clients to the file shares, but rather this use is one of many for
> these devices. There is no fixed use case or demand capacity for these
> connections. The network is more of a very simple but also slightly
> unpredictable SOHO configuration, rather than a network used in a
> business or data center, which is more likely to have a fixed count of
> nodes.
>
> Again, please let me know if you would like me to add any more
> information.

Well, then i suggest,
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server
That shows also what you. Its most simple, the "demo" share shows what you want,
1 share, for multiple users.

Only, you need to add that through the DSM software from synology
Its some time ago i worked with these. :-/ and i see DSM 7 is pretty new.
Just give it a go and test it carefully.

See how far you come and if its not working, mail the list here.
(ps. I might be bit slow in responce, 1 week hard needed vacation in 10 min )  :-))

Greetz,

Louis