[Samba] multiuser with simple user mapping

Eric Levy contact at ericlevy.name
Fri Jul 9 21:00:33 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-07-02 at 16:50 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> > if available. It seems, though, from comments, that none is
> > available.
> >
> > Regarding clients or other information, please let me know if I can
> > offer you more useful information. It seems you feel that the way
> > this
> > question is resolved ought to be planned for some fixed
> > number and type of clients, but the fact is this information would
> > be quite dynamic.
> > Connections would be made by various laptops and handheld devices
> > that
> > would be connected to the LAN at various times, as well as
> > occasionally by desktops on a WAN.
> > None of these devices would exist exclusively as
> > clients to the file shares, but rather this use is one of many for
> > these devices. There is no fixed use case or demand capacity for
> > these
> > connections. The network is more of a very simple but also slightly
> > unpredictable SOHO configuration, rather than a network used in a
> > business or data center, which is more likely to have a fixed count
> > of
> > nodes.
> >
> > Again, please let me know if you would like me to add any more
> > information.
>
> Well, then i suggest,
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server
> That shows also what you. Its most simple, the "demo" share shows
> what you want,
> 1 share, for multiple users.
>
> Only, you need to add that through the DSM software from synology
> Its some time ago i worked with these. :-/ and i see DSM 7 is pretty
> new.
> Just give it a go and test it carefully.
>
> See how far you come and if its not working, mail the list here.

It seems not be what I want. What I want is multiple users on the
client accessing the same mount but with different permissions enforced
for each. I want the permissions to reflect the permissions for the
corresponding users on the NAS.

It seems by now it has been made clear that it is impossible to achieve
this result without some kind of domain server, so I suppose what
benefits me most now is instructions for provisioning a domain server
on the Synology DiskStation NAS as easily as possible, assuming minimal
previous knowledge of domains.